Today’s episode celebrates Mum’s for Mother’s Day coming up this Sunday. Happy Mother’s Day to all the mum’s out there.
I have a very special guest. She has been involved with community theatre for over 50 years. As well as performing on stage, she has served on committee for many, many years and is a life member of The Regals Musicals Society. She raised a musical family which has been in community theatre for four generations and to top it all off – she’s my Mum! I spoke to my Mum, Cheryl Morrison, about all things Mother’s including the top 5 mother roles in Musical Theatre.
Cheryl’s Top 5
- Gypsy – Mama Rose
- The King & I – Anna
- Mamma Mia – Donna
- Fiddler on the Roof – Golde
- A Little Night Music – Armfield/Egerman
Paul’s Top 5
- Gypsy – Mama Rose
- Les Miserables – Fantine
- Blood Brothers – Mrs Johnstone
- Bye Bye Birdie – Mae Peterson
- Hairspray – Edna Turnblad
FANTASTIX BITS IN THE INTERVIEW
- Where Paul gets his “ticketing prowess”
- How many Regals Life Members are there in the Morrison Family?
- How Cheryl’s musical family saw her through every mother’s nightmare (trigger warning)
- The most fun songs for a mother character
- Which role was Paul’s self-indulgent choice?
- The sacrifices the tragic character Fontine makes for her child
- How community theatre has changed over the years
- The quickest comfort food answer we’ve ever had in the Fast 5
- Which Show did Cheryl love so much she saw it twice on the West End
- Don’t forget to tell your mum about our podcast!
- Maria – The Sound of Music
- Diana – Next to Normal
- Morticia – Addams Family
- Mrs Banks – Mary Poppins
THINGS TO CHECK OUT AFTER THIS EPISODE (SHOW NOTES)
Ladies in Black – https://strathfieldmusicalsociety.com.au/
As always thank you for listening!
Love Fantastix? Support the show!
Join the conversation in our Fantastix Cast & Crew Community Group on Facebook
Follow our Facebook Page
Leave a rating or review in iTunes
Subscribe via iTunes
Subscribe via Spotify
Subscribe via Stitcher