USA! USA! USA! Happy 4th of July. It’s Independence Day. Today’s episode is all about the great American musical. Everything in America is big and this episode is no exception.
Not only have I got my first international guest, this episode of Fantastic Fantastix is nearly an hour long. I spoke with someone who was involved with amongst others The mother of Dragons, fighting with light sabres and a wizard with a scar on his head. Bob Corff is a Broadway performer turned vocal coach and has worked with many a-list stars and on many of the blockbuster movies. We spoke about the top 5 all-American musicals, his big break at a gas station, performing as Jesus in Jesus Christ Superstar, becoming a vocal coach, his favourite warm-up techniques and accents. He told me a great story about Leonard Bernstien and during the fast five he talks about being wooed for the role of Jean Val Jean on Broadway. I loved my chat with Bob Corff (A.K.A. The Voice Doctor) as we discussed the Top 5 All-American musicals.
FANTASTIX BITS IN THE INTERVIEW
- What does Bob get up to on the 4th July?
- Which show could Bob never tire of performing in?
- What triggered the birth of vocal coaching business?
- How many huge Hollywood names can Paul drop in one episode?
- Oh God I Need This Job – a tearjerker
- The melting pot of nationalities that makes up American Musicals
- According to Bob there’s not a bad song in which show?
- Why can’t we all just get along? – the underlining theme of so many musicals
- The musical town Paul think’s is the epitome of the America of yesteryear?
- Which musical do Bob and Paul agree is timeless and people will always get it?
- Is Hamilton the new Rent? Will it stand the test of time?
- Did Bob REALLY give Leonard Bernstein everything he had?
- Skype working closer than any piano rehearsal room
- Speaking versus singing and working with muscle memory
- Be sure to listen to the whole episode and hear Bob “talk” us through an array of accents
Bob’s Top 5 All American Musicals
- South Pacific
- Fiddler on the Roof
- A Chorus Line
Paul’s Top 5
- Guys & Dolls
- Bye Bye Birdie
- The Music Man
THINGS TO CHECK OUT AFTER THIS EPISODE (SHOW NOTES)
Buy one of Bob’s vocal coaching programs – www.corffvoice.com
Love Fantastix? Support the show!
Join the conversation in our Fantastix Cast & Crew Community Group on Facebook
Follow our Facebook Page
Leave a rating or review in iTunes
Subscribe via iTunes
Subscribe via Spotify
Subscribe via Stitcher